20210514

Thank you, mum, for every day well lived

 Below you can find another chapter from the book Thank you, mum.  I hope it touches your heart.

(For the Swedish version, scroll up to the next post.)



"If I die, I want all my assets to go to my wife."

            An insurance lawyer once told me that men often expressed themselves that way, when talking of life insurance. If I die. Women, on the other hand, more often said,

"When I die…"

Some men, obviously, talk in terms of dying as "when" rather than "if". The observation of this insurance rep was in no way scientifically supported by statistics or data. But who knows. Maybe women have a closer relationship to death since we have such a strong connection to life.

When I was giving birth, I felt closer to death than ever before. Probably because it somehow became more apparent how birth and death are so closely connected. You and I were born, Mum. You have died. I will die too. Even you, the reader, will die one day. In some ways, it's the one thing we know for certain. One day, we'll die. It's not a matter of luck, somehow managing to live forever, we will die. We don't know how or when, we just know that one day will be the last in this body of ours.

            To fight death, to fear it is stealing energy from all our days alive. Like walking in perpetual headwind towards an inevitable defeat. If instead of fighting death we were fighting for life, we'd have the wind in our sails. Every day well lived is a day well spent. Every day, we're filled with joy, every day, we've learned something new, and every day, we've loved.  

Thank you, Mum, for every day well lived. 

**

Please share this blogpost if you think it can help someone! 

This was a chapter from the book Thank you, mum. A book for those who miss someone.

To read the first chapter, go to this postTo get a notification by mail when a new chapter is posted, click here.

If you would like to give the book to someone you think can be soothed by it, or to yourself, you can find it on Amazon on any of the links below, or you can search for it on your Amazon of choice. 

Amazon in Germany

Amazon in Italy

Amazon in the Netherlands (if the price of the paperback is higher than about 17 euros, check out another market)

Amazon in Spain

Amazon in the UK

Amazon in the US

No comments:

Post a Comment